Sunday, January 23, 2011

Emphasis Assignment

 The Assignment
Create two 7” x 7” compositions using only black or white circles to define relationships within the frame. Each of the compositions should focus on two or more elements of design
.
Principals of design  
Emphasis - What element(s) you focus on and how (aka Leading the eye)
Balance/ Symmetry - Distribution of emphasis or weight in a composition
Proportion/ Scale - The relative size of elements within a design
Rhythm/ Repetition - A pattern created by numerous elements
Contrast -Differing object-characteristics within a composition
Unity - The grouping of elements within a composition and how they relate to each other
Variety - Amount of differing compositional objects within a composition

Emphasis 1


In this composition I focused the Emphasis on the center by using Symmetrical circles Scaled down 1 inch at a time. Starting with largest 7 inch circle a Rhythmic pattern of Contrasting circles draws ones eyes to the center in a Unified manner without any Variation. :)

 Emphasis 2


In this composition I focused the Emphasis on the upper left by using Symmetrical circles Scaled down 1 inch at a time. Starting with largest 7 inch circle a Rhythmic pattern of Contrasting circles draws ones eyes to the upper left in a Unified manner without any Variation.  
 On the other hand, maybe it draws your attention from the upper left down to the lower right?
I'm getting dizzy.  :)

My Comments
 A well thought out design will have more impact on what you are trying to covey. Employing specific design principles allows you to control the intent and the viewers focus on elements within the project. 
Both compositions were created with Gimp for which I now have about two hours of experience. I found Gimp very frustrating because of my lack of knowledge on how to work the tools in the program. Specifically, I could not figure out how to select the circles after I created them. I ended up creating the circles on separate layers and then scaling them to end up with this design. My lack of experience with Gimp definitely hindered my creativeness. Remember when programs were more user friendly? I just need to spend a few hours learning the basics and I'm sure I'll get the knack of it.
That aside, I personally do not like these compositions; they both hurt my eyes.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment